It’s no secret that us Canadians love our hockey. Above is a selection of Canadian NHL logos from the past and present, which I wanted to write about after reading Jakub’s (ISO50) post entitled Logo Upgrade Design fail Vol. 1 where he analyzes the unfortunate redesign of our coveted Toronto Blue Jays logo.
It seems most sports teams have fallen to the same design motifs over the past 15 years, a snarling cartoon mascot with thick lines busting through a wall. Nothing can hold a candle to the simplistic, smart designs teams wore, and in some cases continue to wear amid the constantly upgraded logos of today. These logos have become so ingrained in Canadian culture, specifically Montreal and Toronto, that a redesign is almost unfathomable. Listed above are:
1. Montreal Canadiens: 1917 – present
2. Edmonton Oilers: 1979 – 1996
3. Quebec Nordiques: 1979 – 1995
4. Toronto Maple Leafs: 1970 – present
5. Vancouver Canucks: 1970 – 1980
6. Ottawa Senators: 1997 – 2007
7. Winnipeg Jets: 1990 – 1996
8. Calgary Flames: 1980 – present
And to anyone reading from Montreal, go Habs!